[Ifeffit] Meaning of sigma^2 and real space resolution in XAFS

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Mon Jul 2 13:03:03 CDT 2007

Hi all,

This got marked spam and rejected when I sent it from home this weekend... :)

At 12:48 AM 6/30/2007, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Thanks Bruce and Matt for the previous comments©
>I have the following questions and I would appreciate comments about them:
>
>My Questions are:
>1- Can we consider sigma^2 of a single
>scattering path to be a measure of Debey Waller factor?

If you mean the Debye-Waller factor from x-ray
diffraction, the answer is no. The EXAFS sigma^2
is the variance in the absorber scatterer
distance, the XRD sigma^2 is the variance in the
position of an atom relative to its lattice point
in the crystal. Thus, IF the motion of the
absorber and scatterer were uncorrelated, it
would be reasonable to think that the EXAFS
sigma^2 would be twice the XRD Debye-Waller
factor. For nearest-neighbors, though, this is a
terrible assumption, as the atoms will tend to
move in a correlated fashion (put another way,
acoustic phonons dominate over optical ones).
Thus the EXAFS sigma^2 for nearest-neighbors will
usually be much less than the XRD Debye-Waller factor.

Further confusing matters is terminology. In
EXAFS, sigma^2 is sometimes called the
Debye-Waller factor...but this Debye-Waller
factor is not the same as that from XRD! I've
also seen "Debye-Waller factor" used to include
all information about the shape of the
distribution of the absorber-scatterer distance,
so that sigma^2 is "the harmonic part of the
Debye-Waller factor," but that seems to be an older usage.

>2- Is sigma^2 a measure of ¥or directly proportional to¤ strain in a bond?

Hmm...I'd say no, although I think I know what
you're getting at. One major contributor to
sigma^2 is thermal vibrations, which of course
increase with temperature. I don't think that's
generally categorized as "strain" (although I'm
wary of the differing definitions that terms such
as this can have in different specialties!).
Another contributor to sigma^2 is variations in
absorber-scatterer distance due to local defects,
surface effects, etc., generally lumped together
under the term "static disorder." This term
itself can be a little misleading, as, e.g., a
nanoparticle can have a sigma^2 that varies in a
perfectly regular way with distance from the
surface--we call that static disorder, even
though it is not particularly disorderly. :) At
any rate, what material scientists call "strain"
can show up as static disorder. But even in that
case, note that if all the bonds in a sample were
strained, sigma^2 would not reflect it--it's only
when some are strained and some are not that it shows up.

So yes, I've seen (knowledgeable) people point at
a sigma^2 and say "I think that's high because of
strain." But that's a kind of short-hand for what's going on.

>3- When doing first shell fitting in Artemis,
>The actual bond length is: r_eff + dr +- delta ¥dr¤©
>Are the error bars associated with dr values
>¥delta¥dr¤ of about 0©001 A¤ realistic? ¥i©e©
>0©001 A is too small to detect by XAFS¤©

Your formatting didn't come through very well,
but I'll give it a shot. Ifeffit (and thus
Artemis) do a pretty good job of putting a lower
bound on delta dr, in my opinion. Why a lower
bound? Because there are all sorts of systematic
errors that could be coming in, e.g. an iffy
model--such as a first-shell only fit for a
crystalline material, since there's often a bit
of spectral leakage from more distant shells.

I'd be very surprised if Artemis ever gave a
0.001 A delta dr, though, and absolutely shocked
if it did so on a first-shell only model. Are you
saying that it did do that for you?

>4- What determines the real space resolution in
>XAFS measurements other than K_max?

k_min, of course.

To answer the gist of your question more fully,
though, I have to get on my soapbox. :)

"Resolution" is often taken to mean something
other than it does. Resolution criteria literally
mean the point at which you could be expected to
distinguish between two peaks. It is NOT the
limit to the precision of information that can be
retrieved by a clever person.

Huh?

Let's take an example of, oh, a proposal that
there are two slightly different (but consistent)
nearest-neighbor distances in some material. If
those distances differ by less than the
resolution implied by the k-space range, then
they will not show up as two peaks in the Fourier
transform. Instead, they'll show up as one broad
peak; i.e. a peak with an anomalously large
sigma^2. If a multiple-shell fit was performed
and splitting was known to be a possibility, this
anomalously large sigma^2 could be taken as
indirect evidence for the splitting. In fact, if
there were some way to estimate sigma2's a priori
(I'll grant you that's a big if!), then the broad
peak could be modeled as two scattering paths,
with the splitting as a free parameter. In that
case, EXAFS could give information about
splitting to a greater precision than the resolution of the measurement.

A lot of the lore about the capabilities of EXAFS
suffers from a similar lack of subtlety. Joe
Woicik recently gave a very interesting talk at
the NSLS Users' Meeting. It is generally bandied
about that EXAFS cannot distinguish scatterers
that differ in atomic number by less than 5. This
is kind of true--in a mindless first-shell
fit--because in those cases del_r and sigma^2
will usually just slop up the differences in
phase and amplitude due to the different atomic
number of the scatterer. But if you really really
knew del_r and sigma^2 a priori, even a
difference of one atomic number stands out like a
sore thumb! The upshot is that if you model, say,
zinc scatterers as if they were iron, the fit
will probably "work," but you'll be introducing
substantial systematic errors into your fitted
variables. A corollary is that in the case of a
highly-constrained fit, you may be able to do
considerably better than the usual +/- 5 rule.

The bottom line of this little speech is that the
oft-quoted limits of EXAFS analysis are usually
referring to a fit in which no a priori
information is used. If you know (or suspect)
anything about the system and incorporate that
into your model, greater precision is sometimes
possible. Of course, the results are then only as
good as the a priori information; the whole thing
could be a house of cards ready to collapse. But
in favorable cases, multiple lines of evidence
can be used to construct a convincing scenario...

Hope that helped!

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College