[Ifeffit] gifeffit installation issue on ubuntu feisty fawn

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 2 12:33:04 CDT 2007

Hi Emiliano,

As Bruce pointed out, gifeffit is sort of old.   To be honest, I
thought I was the only one who used it.  But it should work as a
simple "enhanced command-line interface", and I'm sure it can work (it
works for me on linux).

I'll bet the problem you're having is with ifeffit / pgplot.     You
say that plain ifeffit and horae both work... I'll assume that means
"including plotting", and that Python is incorrectly using the pgplot
library from the debian package instead of the one built for Ifeffit
with PGPLOT_Install.

Here's something to try:
  ~> ldd /usr/local/bin/ifeffit
  ~> ldd /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Ifeffit/_ifeffit.so

Neither of these files should point to a 'libpgplot.so'

If they do, I'd recommend (temporarily if necessary) removing the
PGPLOT package (or at least the libpgplot.so file) and rebuilding
Ifeffit and the python wrapper.

Hope that helps, and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,