[Ifeffit] statistical vicissitudes

Kelly, Shelly D. SKelly at anl.gov
Fri Jan 19 10:21:07 CST 2007

Hi Aaron,

In EXAFS the expected deviation in RCS(reduced chi square) is sqrt(2/nu)

So one fit is better than another fit if their difference is greater
than twice the fluctuation in the RCS values

(RCS1-RCS2)/RCS2 > 2 sqrt(2/nu)

We divide by RCS2 because our RCS-values are poorly scaled.
{in your link to the nist pages F = RCS1/RCS2 -1 and the statistically
significant variation in F is 2 * sqrt(2/nu)}

If there are different values for nu in the two models then

(RCS1-RCS2) > 2sqrt(RCS2^2/nu2 + RCS1^2/nu1)

I think that the best explanation of these tests are given in Dani
Haskel's thesis pg 39 - 41
http://www.aps.anl.gov/xfd/people/haskel/dani.html
and Bevington, P. R.; Robinson, D. K. Data Reduction and Error Analysis
for the Physical Sciences; 2 ed.; McGraw-Hill: New York, 1992.

HTH
Shelly