[Ifeffit] Is there a physical meaning to a negative SO2

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Tue Jan 9 10:26:31 CST 2007

Hi Todd,

Your paragraph below is correct; i.e. you do not have a physically
realistic model. One common cause of a negative S02 is that the model
also is off by half an oscillation. After all, the negative S02 turns
the signal upside down, shifting it by half an oscillation can then
cause a rough (but spurious) alignment between model and data.

In any case, the model needs work; depending on your system and
degree of prior knowledge, you might be assuming the wrong species of
scattering atom, for example.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College