[Ifeffit] Fwd: Re: why ss_2 is negative?

hw26 at njit.edu hw26 at njit.edu
Tue Feb 27 12:48:51 CST 2007

Dear all,

Thanks million for your great advice for my EXAFS modeling! It helps me
understand more about EXAFS and I really appreciate it! But I still have some
questions to consult you.

I took your suggestion and have the amp and e0 the same for each path. In
addition, I fixed the number axial U-O as 2. For the equatorial ligand, since
the total coordination number is between 4 and 6, I guess the number of U-F as
2(that is n1), and def the number of U-O as (5-n1)(that is n2). Then I did the
fit. The result showed the ss_2 is still negative. So I set the ss_2 as 0.003,
did the fitting again.   I don't know if it is ok to fix the ss_2=0.003. It
seems the dr_1 change a lot.

In addition, I tried to do fitting in Kw=2 in stead of Kw=3. At this time, the
ss_2 is positive, and from my understanding, it seems the modeling is more
resonable for dr_1 and dr_2, but the R-factor is 0.023, a little bit larger
than 0.02. How can I decide which one I should use, the Kw=3 or Kw=2? Is there
anything I can do to improve the modeling?

The attached is my modeling. I am sorry to put attachment in the email that my
bother you.

Best regards!
Hao