[Ifeffit] why ss_2 is negative?

hw26 at njit.edu hw26 at njit.edu
Fri Feb 23 21:41:20 CST 2007

Dear all,

Thanks for reply promptly! First I have to say sorry since I am a new guy in
this filed I may ask some stupid questions. But I am really glad there is such
a great platform where I can get advice and learn from experts and scientists.

Yes, I am modeling the uranyl ligand and two equatorial ligands, one of which
is hypothesized as U-F (from BF4 anion), and the other as U-O (from
hydration),because in the uranyl nitrate standard sloution(without MOEMIMBF4),
there is only one peak that represents the U-O equatorial ligand, but with the
MOEMIMBF4, the equatorial peak is split to two peaks. So I guess the other
equatorial U-F formed.
In the literature, the R for mondentate U-F is 2.24, bidentate is about 2.35;
the R for mondentate U-O is 2.41, bidentate is about 2.54. So I choose 2.24
for U-F and 2.42 for U-O in the path. In the first run, I only set the number
of axial oxygen as 2 (n0), and guess all other parameters. After obtaining
parameters from the first run, I fixed some parameters(especially the
parameters for axial ligand) , and modify others. However, the sigma^2 is
negative, and the enot_2 is too large. In addition, the dr_1 and dr_2 also
seem too large compared with the R from literature. But if I force sigma^2 to
be positive and e_2 to be below 10 ev, the R-factor will increase and the
fitting doesn't seem good.
As for the 2.59 Angstrom for equatorial U-O, it is even a little bit larger
than the bidentate U-O. I don't think it resonable either,  since there is no
ligand here that can form the bidentate U-O. Also, the 2.44 Angstrom for U-F
is quite larger than 2.24 from literature, even larger the 2.35 Angstrom for
the bidentate. I don't know if this is due to wrong modeling or because of
some unique characteristcs of ionic liquid.

Best regards!
Hao