[Ifeffit] (no subject)

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Thu Feb 15 06:59:25 CST 2007

Hi Ruwn,

Using a different S02 for each path effectively means that you're
using a different coordination number for each path. In some cases,
that may be appropriate--for example, small nanoparticles with
unknown morphology. It should be noted, however, that S02 often
correlates highly with sigma2, and a fit that prefers different S02's
may be getting "mixed up" with sigma2's...although in a case like
that Artemis/Ifeffit will give high uncertainties to the S02's it finds.

More fundamentally, just because a fit matches the data well, it
doesn't mean it's "good." The choice of parameters to fit must also
be physically justifiable. If you can justify each path having a
different coordination number than in your model, you can try
different S02's; otherwise, your fit is unconvincing.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College