[Ifeffit] question about Eo and simultaneous fitting

Kelly, Shelly D. SKelly at anl.gov
Wed Feb 14 11:31:36 CST 2007

Hi Scott,

The change in frequency is a bigger affect at high k than the energy
shift parameter.  The energy shift parameter affects the data more
strongly at low k.  So I align the data to each other at low k, and then
they become out of phase with each other at high k.  A similar effect is
seen for pressure dependent data where the oxidation state doesn't
change but the bond length changes.  I also look at how well the data
are both aligned to the theory used to describe the data sets
independently.  The energy shift values should overlap within the
uncertainty to justify using a single parameter for them.  I suppose
that my method might not work for all systems.  But if the data are
similar enough so that a multiple data set fit has significant overlap
in the models used to describe the spectra, then it has worked.

Shelly