[Ifeffit] Overlapping scattering paths

van der Veen Renske Renske.vanderveen at psi.ch
Wed Dec 19 03:43:05 CST 2007

Dear Bruce

Thanks a lot for your reply! I admit that I was a bit naive in expecting
EXAFS to give me the full molecular structure with 0.01 A resolution...
I learn now that there is "no free lunch"! Nevertheless, doing EXAFS is
fun :-)

As a reply to my mail to the mailing list, somebody from the same
institution where I work contacted me and offered to help a bit out.
Your answer and his help made me to fit a very reasonable model to the
data. In case somebody is interested what exactly led to my success,
below I describe what I did. Please correct me if you think I did
something stupid.

First a short introduction to what I'm actually fitting: I measured 2
transmission spectra of a molecule of 38 atoms, containing a weak Pt-Pt
bond and 4 rigid P-O-P bridges, dissolved in ethanol. Each of the Pt
atoms is surrounded by 4 P-atoms in a square-planar way. Beside the
bridging O's, each P atom also binds to 2 terminal oxygens, one
singly-bonded and one doubly bonded. This makes the total molecular
composition: Pt2 P8 O20 H8. The ultimate goal of the project is to
measure the excited state structure of this molecule in a time-resolved
fashion.

This is what I did:

(1) I realized that the molecule in the crystal structure (used as an
input for ATOMS/FEFF) had reduced symmetry. The salt I used was a K-salt
and coulombic forces between K+ ions and the O atoms in the molecule
distort the structure. Because charges are more homogeneously
distributed in solution, I thought that a more symmetric starting
structure would be better. Therefore, I "built" my own molecule in which
especially the symmetrically equivalent P=O and P-O distances are the
same. (of course one should be very careful in building own molecules;
not every structure is thermodynamically stable. In my case the bond
distances and angles are very similar to ones in the crystal structure,
so I assume the structure is physically "possible")

(2) Because I wanted to increase the information content extrinsically,
I determined sigma_sq for the Pt-Pt distance by making use of optical
Raman measurements in solution. Assuming a harmonic oscillator, I
calculated sigma_sq from the wavenumber of the Pt-Pt vibration. In
consequent fits I fixed the value of sigma_sq_Pt to this value (if let
free one of the other sigma_sq values gets negative; this is probably
due to the correlations)

(3) I fitted from "shell-to-shell" (although in a molecule one cannot
speak of "shells", I mean distinct separated regions in the FT
spectrum). An iterative procedure of fit-grab-fix, while looking at the
statistical variables and the values of the fitting parameters, led to
the final good fit.

The present model is extremely simple: 4 SS paths (Pt-P(near),Pt-P(far),
Pt-O(bridge), Pt-Pt) and one important (nearly) colinear MS path
(4-legged P-Pt-P scattering, this path was expressed in terms of SS
paths: delr_MS=2*delr_SS and ss_MS=2*ss_MS). All the SS paths to the
terminal O atoms could be left out due to the large Debye-Waller
factors, i.e. on the order of 0.02-0.06 A^2. Including them and/or the
Pt-O-P MS paths lead to a small decrease of the R-factor, but an
increase or no change in the reduced chi-square! (HOW CAN THIS BE?)
Leaving them out has the advantage that the other fitting parameters
have smaller error bars. I am actually not sure whether I should include
them or not...they do "clean-up" the fit...but including them also
changes the values of the other parameters...

As a final result I got an R-factor of 0.01. The error bars on the
fitted values are still pretty large (up to 50%) and the correlations
between variables are still present, but at least I am confident now
that the model makes sense. From Bruce's email I understand that large
error bars and correlations are unavoidable for overlapping scattering
contributions without further (extrinsic) information. For the future I
consider measuring at different temperature in order to break the
correlations between the DW factors, although I am not sure whether this
makes sense in solution (do the DW factors change enough in solution?).

This was my fitting story. Comments/suggestions are welcome!

Regards,
Renske