[Ifeffit] Ifeffit and gfortran (was: iffefit compile on BlueWhite64)

paul fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Thu Aug 23 06:54:09 CDT 2007

Hi Matt,
	Sitting here at Elettra during  a run, I downloaded the rc1 of
ifeffit10 on my MacBook Pro (intel cpu) and found that the gfortran
compiler had trouble with one of the sources: rand.f and attempted a
build using gfortran 4.2.1 and found that the make crashed due to an
overflow in a constant in rand.f.  The same makefile worked fine with
the intel compiler.  If I get time later this week, I will try and
build the latest version of ifeffit and horae using the intel
compiler on the MacBook Pro I have here.

gfortran -g -O2 -fPIC -c misc_rand.f
misc_rand.f:111.36:

        parameter(umask = -2147483648) ! most significant w-r bits
                                    1
Error: Integer too big for its kind at (1)
make[3]: *** [misc_rand.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Ciao,
		Paul

On Aug 22, 2007, at 10:56 PM, Matt Newville wrote:

> Hi Chachi, all
>
> I believe I have a source kit that will build correctly for you using
> gfortran.  I've tested on three different generations of Fedora/Redhat
> linux systems, one with only g77, one with only gfortran, and one with
> both, and the installation now works on all of them.
>
> Please try
>      http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ifeffit/src/ifeffit-1.2.10_rc1.tar.gz
>
> With this tar ball, you will need to install pgplot:
>    tar xvzf ifeffit-1.2.10_rc1.tar.gz
>    cd ifeffit-1.2.10
>    sh PGPLOT_install
>    ./configure
>    make
>    make install
>
> (doing the two 'install steps' with sufficient privilege).  Again, you
> need to install PGPLOT with the provided script.  Both the PGPLOT and
> Ifeffit installations will use gfortran if available, and g77 if
> gfortran is not available.  I think it would not be too difficult to
> attempt to use Intel's ifort compiler or g95, though I do not know
> that it's needed-- all linux distribution come with gcc so have
> easy-to-use packages for gfortran (and, for "legacy", g77).
>
> I did  get horae-065 and the python wrappers to build with no trouble
> (once the Tk modules were installed) on all systems, though I haven't
> done much more than trivial testing.
>
> Since I tested only on a few linux boxes, I'd be interested in hearing
> reports for other systems.
>
> I'll wait a few days (or more) to hear reports before uploading this
> as ifeffit-1.2.10.
>
> --Matt

Paul Fons
Team Leader
Nano-Optics Research Team
paul-fons at aist.go.jp

Center for Applied Near-Field Optics
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Technology
Tsukuba Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki Japan 305-8562

tel. +81-298-61-5635
fax. +81-298-61-2939

The following lines are in a Japanese font
〒305-8562 茨城県つくば市つくば中央東 1-1-1
産業技術総合研究所
近接場光応用工学研究センター
近接場光基礎研究チーム チーム長