[Ifeffit] Ifeffit and gfortran (was: iffefit compile on BlueWhite64)

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 22 15:56:26 CDT 2007

Hi Chachi, all

I believe I have a source kit that will build correctly for you using
gfortran.  I've tested on three different generations of Fedora/Redhat
linux systems, one with only g77, one with only gfortran, and one with
both, and the installation now works on all of them.

Please try
     http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ifeffit/src/ifeffit-1.2.10_rc1.tar.gz

With this tar ball, you will need to install pgplot:
   tar xvzf ifeffit-1.2.10_rc1.tar.gz
   cd ifeffit-1.2.10
   sh PGPLOT_install
   ./configure
   make
   make install

(doing the two 'install steps' with sufficient privilege).  Again, you
need to install PGPLOT with the provided script.  Both the PGPLOT and
Ifeffit installations will use gfortran if available, and g77 if
gfortran is not available.  I think it would not be too difficult to
attempt to use Intel's ifort compiler or g95, though I do not know
that it's needed-- all linux distribution come with gcc so have
easy-to-use packages for gfortran (and, for "legacy", g77).

I did  get horae-065 and the python wrappers to build with no trouble
(once the Tk modules were installed) on all systems, though I haven't
done much more than trivial testing.

Since I tested only on a few linux boxes, I'd be interested in hearing
reports for other systems.

I'll wait a few days (or more) to hear reports before uploading this
as ifeffit-1.2.10.