[Ifeffit] large Eo's and neg. D-W factors

Richard Mayes mayes at ion.chem.utk.edu
Wed Apr 18 16:02:57 CDT 2007

Greetings!

I have inherited a vanadium EXAFS data set (due to a group member
graduating - lucky dog!) that is giving me major fits.  I am getting
consistent numbers with all my fits which visually look fantastic, that
is until I look at the numbers...one Debye-Waller factor is negative (a
V-O path) and the Eo's are large, the V-Cl path is on the order of -20
eV, the V=O path is on the order of 17 eV, and the V-O path falling at
-11 eV.  ARe there any "tricks" outside of restraints or constraints
that I can attempt to get more realistic values?  (I understand that a
large Eo can be realistic, but a negative Debye-Waller factor doesn't
make sense.)  I can restrain the V-O Debye-Waller factor and get a
positive value, but then the V=O D-W factor is negative.  If I restrain
both D-W factors, the fit falls apart, suggesting something else is
wrong that I just can't find.

Another issue I'm having involves something in Artemis that's confusing
me.  Sometimes after a fit, the Artemis Pallet shows the V=O feature as
the one at 1.8 Angstroms and the V-O feature at 1.6 Angstroms,
completely reversed to the FEFF model.  I have seen this when I
separated the chlorides as well (I attempted to model the Cl at
different distances as reported by Deguns, et. al. (attached) due to the
immediate environment around the V in our sample being similar to the
one they report in scheme 1-(I), p5008).  Attached is a text file that
shows an Artemis Pallet output illustrating what I'm trying to describe
for the V=O and V-O paths.  The Artemis project that generated the
output is also attached.

At this point, I'm wandering what I'm missing.  Any help is greatly
appreciated!!

Many thanks in advance!

Rich Mayes

Barnes Group