[Ifeffit] Phase corrected Fourier transforms

John J. Rehr jjr at leonardo.phys.washington.edu
Sat Sep 23 23:00:47 CDT 2006

  Anatoly is correct that the phase correction cannot work for all shells
in inhomogeneous systems. However, it's *always* possible to remove the
central atom phase shift 2 delta_c which often dominates the phase
correction. Second, if one corrects by the 1st nn phase, delta_1, the dominant
near neighbor shell will appear at the correct distance. The correction
is not right for subsequent shells but the error is given by a phase
difference
         delta R = <(1/2)(d/dk) [delta_n-delta_1]>
This correction is typically order 0.1 Ang and usually smaller than the
typical shift of about 0.3 - 0.4 Ang in uncorrected FT peaks.

  The upshot is that the phase corrected FT can be correct for the first shell
which often dominates the FT and generally better than uncorrected FTs.

  Corrective lenses for vision aren't perfect either at all distances,
but it's hard to argue that it's preferable not to use them for that
reason.

  J. Rehr