[Ifeffit] Phase corrected Fourier transforms

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Fri Sep 22 19:27:02 CDT 2006

Hi JA,

I'll put in my two cents on some of these
questions, although in some cases it's a matter of personal taste:

At 03:16 PM 9/22/2006, you wrote:

>I have read Phase corrected Fourier transforms in Athena manual and now
>I have a big doubt, ¿phase correction or not in a publication?

I vote not. :)

Most of the time, phase corrections are desired
for cosmetic reasons, to make the FT look more
like a radial distribution function. But the FT
is never a RDF, and so an attempt to make it look
like one may mislead some readers without much
experience in EXAFS. Also, adding a phase
correction necessitates a discussion of what
method for applying the phase correction was
used, which complicates the publication.

On the other hand, I'm less opposed to using
phase-correction for presentations and posters
intended for a non-EXAFS audience, although I
still don't do it. Like I say, this is a matter of personal tatse.

>I have high correlations between ss and SO2, and deltaR and deltaE. I
>tried different fits but I can not eliminate them, then...is the fit
>wrong?

No, this does not mean the fit is wrong! It is
hard to eliminate the correlations you describe.
And the algorithm used by Ifeffit to calculate
the uncertainties works in such a way that you
don't have to worry about correlations adding
extra uncertainty beyond what's reported.

High correlations do help you, as the person
doing the fits, diagnose why an uncertainty might
be high. If you find the uncertainty for deltaR
is too high to say anything useful about a bond
length, for example, then check the correlation
with deltaE0. If the correlation is high, there
are a number of things you can try to reduce the
correlation, and, hopefully, the uncertainties:
fitting multiple k-weights, fitting more coordination shells, etc..

>Sorry for these easy questions but I am a novice in XAFS.

That's one of the things this list is for...

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College