[Ifeffit] Short questions

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Wed Sep 13 14:52:15 CDT 2006

Hi JA,

Oh dear, I seem to have gotten a rule named after
me that I didn't even know I'd put down in print.
As I recall, I got it from an offhand comment by
Bruce, and he may have gotten it from Rossner and Krappe... :)

Here's the deal in a nut-shell:

The Nip you give is the Nyquist criterion. Or
it's the Nyquist criterion +1, or the Nyquist
criterion +2. In any case, the Nyquist criterion
was developed for a signal. If I want to give you
information in a periodic signal, how much
information can I give you using a certain
bandwidth and time? That's what Nyquist tells you.

But there's no reason that Nature had to be so
kind as to pack the maximum possible amount of
information into an EXAFS signal. Some of the
information may be redundant in some sense. So
the true number of independent points might be somewhat less than Nip.

The 2/3 is purely made up, as far as I know. It's
like saying the fit is pretty close to the data
when the EXAFS R-factor is less than 0.02. That
0.02 is arbitrary, but works as a rule of thumb.

I myself don't always pay attention to the 2/3
that I have occasionally mentioned. I'm pretty
sure I published stuff that's had more free parameters than that.

In sum, I think it's bad to think that there is
some magic number of free parameters, below which
you're OK, and above which you're not. The fewer
free parameters you can get away with, the
better. And you should always give the k-space
and r-space ranges in your publications, along
with the number of free parameters, so that
people can draw their own conclusions. If I see a
published fit with 15 independent points by the
Nyquist criterion and 14 free parameters, I'm not
going to discount it completely, but I will be
somewhat more skeptical than if it had only 4
free parameters, all else being equal.

Hope that helps.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College