[Ifeffit] Installing Tk/Horae on Fedora Core 5

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Mon Sep 11 17:56:28 CDT 2006

Boopesh,

I just managed to reproduce your error on my computer and attempted to apply
my suggestion:

> Here is my suggestion.
>
>   1.  cd down into 0CPAN/Chemistry-Elements-1.01/ in the source code
>       tarball.
>   2.  do the "perl Makefile.PL; make; make install" incantation for
>       Chemistry::Elements
>   3.  cd back up to the main directory and try building all of horae again
>       with Chemistry::Elements installed

That's not quite right.  Try this:

    1.  cd down into 0CPAN/Chemistry-Elements-1.01/ in the source code
        tarball.

 ** 2.  rm -rf blib Makefile pm_to_blib **

    3.  do the "perl Makefile.PL; make; make install" incantation for
        Chemistry::Elements
    4.  cd back up to the main directory and try building all of horae again
        with Chemistry::Elements installed

If you don't clean up some of the detritus from the earlier attempt to get
this installed, then step 3 does not work correctly.

And, in response to Carlo's comment: this underscores a significant advantage
to the debian approach of package management.  Boopesh's problem would not
have happened on a debian system.  I am, however, compelled to try to provide
system-agnostic build scripts in my perl packages.  That said, I could use the
CPAN module to resolve horae's requirements.  That, however, would require
building as root and having the user correctly configure the CPAN.pm module.
That configuration isn't a trivial chore even for me!

 Molecular Environmental Science Group, Building 203, Room E-165
 MRCAT, Sector 10, Advanced Photon Source, Building 433, Room B007

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel
 EXAFS software: http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/