[Ifeffit] Compiling horae/iffefit on Mac OS 10.4.7 Intel

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Fri Sep 1 15:09:51 CDT 2006

On Friday 01 September 2006 14:49, Todd Hufnagel wrote:
> A little digging around on the net suggested that this error comes
> from compiling with gcc-4.0 rather than gcc-3.3. Switching to that
> compiler, I can again run Makefile.PL successfully, but then when I
>
> run 'make' I get a new and exciting error:
> >[...much successful stuff deleted...]
> >cp Zlib.pm ../../blib/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm
> >AutoSplitting ../../blib/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm
> >(../../blib/lib/auto/Compress/Zlib)
> >/usr/bin/perl /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap
> >/System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap
> >Zlib.xs > Zlib.xsc && mv Zlib.xsc Zlib.c
> >cc -c  -I./zlib-src -g -pipe -fno-common -DPERL_DARWIN
> >-no-cpp-precomp -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -O3
> >-DVERSION=\"1.41\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.41\"
> >"-I/System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE"
> >Zlib.c
> >cc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
> >make[2]: *** [Zlib.o] Error 1
> >make[1]: *** [subdirs] Error 2
> >make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
>
> and obviously no executables are produced.

I'll start with my standard disclaimer that I don't own a Mac and don't have
any personal experience trying to do what you are doing.

You failure comes while trying to build the Compress::Zlib module, which is
one of the things in the 0CPAN subdirectory of the tarball.  One place to go
searching for information about getting that built is the CPAN testers site.
Here's the link to the testers page for that Module.  There are several
entries for building 2.41 under Darwin.
  http://testers.cpan.org/show/Compress-Zlib.html

I don't use very many features of C::Z in horae, so you can also try building
earlier or later versions.  Other versions should be drop-in replacements for
the version that comes in the tarball.

Fortunately Compress::Zlib is a part of the Phalanx project:
  http://qa.perl.org/phalanx/100/
Scroll down on that page and you'll find more information about that module,
including links to the testers, bugs, and annotated CPAN pages.  All
potentially useful.

Another possibility is to remove C::L from the horae tarball and use some
other method of installing that module.  That would be an attractive option if
C::L is available using fink.

Anpther possibility is that the perl installation that Apple distributes
already has C::L installed.  You can test that by doing this at the command
line:
   perl -e 'use Compress::Zlib'
If it spits back a cryptic error message, then you need to install C::L.  If
it responds with nothing, then C::L is already installed.  If that happens,
delete the C::L directory from the horae tarball and try building again.

HTH,

P.S.  This module is a requirement for Artemis.  It is needed to build Artemis
project files.  If you never use Artemis, you can live without having C::L
installed on your computer.  In that case, delete it from the tarball and
build without it.  Artemis will be broken, but Athena and Hephaestus should
work fine.

--

 Molecular Environmental Science Group, Building 203, Room E-165
 MRCAT, Sector 10, Advanced Photon Source, Building 433, Room B007

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel
 EXAFS software: http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/