[Ifeffit] Re: question on Athena data import

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Thu Nov 30 10:31:36 CST 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 10:09, Jay Brandes wrote:
> Dear Dr Ravel- I have been using your program Athena for XANES and
> EXAFS analysis and have liked it alot.  I am having a very
> frustrating problem, however. I have some older data that is in text
> format and cannot get Athena to import it. I have tried taking the
> data examples and replacing the data with my own and I only get the
> error message "...has fewer than 10 data points. I have tried copying
> the format exactly as far as I can see it in my text editing
> programs, but no go. Tab delineated, space delineated, etc., don't
> work either.  This is very simple 2 column data. The documentation
> doesn't seem to indicate that there should be any problems. I use Mac
> OS X 10.4.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Jay,

I am taking the liberty of CCing my answer to the mailing list.  I am
happy to answer this sort of question, but I prefer that it be asked
on the mailing list so that others may benefit by the exchange.

I have written some guidelines on how to report problems with the
software:
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/bugs.html
The reason I am pointing this out is that I am better able to help
users who familiarize themselves with the suggestions on that page.
Without an example of the troublesome data file, I cannot replicate
the problem on my computer and therefore cannot offer reliable
advice.

All that said, the Ifeffit FAQ might be helpful to you.  In
particular, questions 3 and 4 on this page:
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/iffwiki/FAQ/HoraeQuestions
are probably directly relevant to your problem.

 Molecular Environmental Science Group, Building 203, Room E-165
 MRCAT, Sector 10, Advanced Photon Source, Building 433, Room B007

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel