[Ifeffit] Coordination number

Stefano Ciurli stefano.ciurli at unibo.it
Thu Nov 23 12:37:53 CST 2006

Hi Juan,

I am not sure why you say that the question is
polemic. I will give you the definition that a
coordination chemist would give:

the coordination number is the number of closest neighbours.

But maybe I do not understand the question

Regards
Stefano

>I have a simple question but I am afraid it is polemic. Why people
>always calculate coordination numbers and bond distances and how?
>I have an e-mail where Bruce described perfectly how to calculate the
>coordiantion number for the first shell. But,...if I have bimetallic
>catalysts or/and a mixture of structures with several close paths
>(similar Reff), then coordination number is an average number? I am not
>very sure how to calculate them in Artemis with SO2 and standards.
>
>Thank you very much
>
>Best regards,
>JA

>Attachment converted: MacHD120:Juan.Macia.vcf (TEXT/MSWD) (00150DE6)

Stefano Ciurli
Professor of Chemistry
Laboratory of Bioinorganic Chemistry
Department of Agro-Environmental Science and Technology
University of Bologna
Viale Giuseppe Fanin, 40
I-40127 Bologna
Italy
Phone:	+39-051-209-6204
Fax:	+39-051-209-6203

"Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza"
Dante Alighieri - Inferno - Canto XXVI

"Ihr seid bestimmt, nicht Tieren gleich zu leben,
Nein, Tugend zu erringen und Erkenntnis"
"Ye were not form'd to live the life of brutes,
But virtue to pursue and knowledge high"