[Ifeffit] Artemis

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Fri Nov 10 09:15:06 CST 2006

Hi Juan,

First, the delR question.

You say that one of your structures is a "platinum structure." I
assume that means fcc. In an fcc lattice, every atom is equivalent
(maybe you've substituted some platinum with another metal, but
nevertheless the lattice points are all equivalent). The only way in
which the spacing between atoms in an fcc lattice can change and
maintain the fcc structure is if the lattice constant changes. This
means all path lengths must change by the same percentage (not the
same number of angstroms). So you could do something like this:

Guess delLattice = 0.0
Def delR = delLattice*reff

(reff is a variable that uses the half-path-length from the model).

Now, the more general question.

If your fits don't look very good (e.g. have high r-factors) before
even going to higher shells, there may be something going on with
your system you didn't anticipate, such as oxidation. Often a
first-shell only fit "works," in that the fitted spectrum is close to
the data, but might not be as useful as it could be, due to high
uncertainties or an inability to distinguish between relevant
possible structures. In cases like that, going to more distant
coordination shells often helps clarify the structure. On the other
hand, if a single-shell fit already has trouble fitting the data, I'm
not so sure that will fix itself with more scattering paths and more R-range.

Other notes:

--remember that the "R" in the Fourier transform is not itself an
absorber-scatterer distance. (Uncorrected) paths tend to peak as much
as a half-angstrom below the average absorber-scatterer distance. In
addition, paths have width, as you can easily see in Artemis. This
width stems from several effects, including the broadening of the
distribution that is measured by sigma2 and truncation effects
associated with the Fourier transform. Therefore, if you want to fit
up to, for example, 3 angstroms, you should probably be including
important paths up to at least 3.5 angstroms or so. (The default
behavior of Artemis is to complain if you include paths far above the
fitting range. This behavior can be changed with the preferences
dialog, or you can just disregard that particular warning each time.)

--Unfortunately, it is not always appropriate to disregard MS paths
inside your fitting range. Fortunately, you often do OK by including
the most prominent of them in some crude way, e.g. by giving them the
same parameters you give to direct scattering paths. You can always
try your fit with and without MS paths and see what happens; if
you're on the right track you'll often find that the fit with MS
paths is better, even if you weren't too careful about how to
constrain them. Basically, MS paths usually represent a small but
significant correction to the direct-only fit. The choice of
parameters for those MS paths represents a correction to that
correction; i.e. a second-order correction, and are therefore not crucial.

As always with fitting, each case is different--otherwise someone
would have written a program long ago that could just DO all our fits
for us. Effects that are unimportant in one system may be important
in another. Fortunately, it is easy to try a variety of fits on a
system to make sure that we understand it. Likewise, we should always
make sure that our results make physical sense.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College