[Ifeffit] Ifeffit on 10.4

Emmanuelle Montarges Emmanuelle.Montarges at ensg.inpl-nancy.fr
Thu Mar 30 18:15:18 CST 2006

First, thanks for your answer. I will try to answer to your questions .

> Why there were "several unsuccessful installations"? Could you tell us
> with more precision what you tried to install and in what way it was
> unsuccessful?  The installer should work.  Why did it not?

"several unsuccessful installations" meant that I tried to follow the guidelines
for installing iffefit on macosX...This is not an upgrading but a first
installation of OsX 10.4.5. I then downloaded the ifeffit-1.2.8-Mac10.4_pkg.dmg
and installed the package in the Applications folder. First I simply
double-clicked on the application "athena", it opened and closed immediately. I
then tried to search for explanations on my own from the archives of the
mailing list.... I found a  message from Paul Fons (MAy 9 2005) and....I
finally downloaded Tk-804.027 and re-install ifeffit without success.

> What was installing it in a "temp" directory meant to do?   It needs to go
> under
> /Library/Perl/.  Anyway, you do NOT need to install perl/Tk yourself.

"Temp" refers to Paul Fons guidelines (May 9 2005)...I did not realize how
"dark" this word was. If I don't need to install perl/Tk, these are good news.

> > Can't load
> '/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Tk/Tk.bundle'
> > for module Tk:
> > dlopen(/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Tk/Tk.bundle,
> 1):
> > Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib
>
> >From a terminal, what does
>       ~> perl -e 'use Tk;'
>
> report?  It should return with no messages.

Exact, indeed there was no message, but when I tried to run athena and I had an
error message (see following lines).
xafs-guest:~ manue$ perl -e 'use Tk;'
xafs-guest:~ manue$ athena
Can't load
'/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.bundle'
for module Ifeffit:
dlopen(/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.bundle,
1): Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.bundle
  Reason: image not found at
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
 at /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/athena line 54
Compilation failed in require at /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/athena line 54.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/athena line 58.

  b) what is under /Applications/Ifeffit   AND /Library/Perl

Applications/ifeffit contains several folders "applescript, bin, examples,
include, info, lib, man, pgplot and share" and the applications athena,
artemis....

In System/Library/Perl there are a complete folder of Perl 5.8.6 and another
folder called "Extras". In Perl 5.8.6/Darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto, I could
not find "Ifeffit" and then even less "Ifeffit.bundle".

What other precisions do you need?