[Ifeffit] Odd feff result

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Fri Mar 24 20:11:14 CST 2006

At 08:59 PM 3/24/2006, Bruce wrote:

>I am inclined to side with Jeremy and Feng.  One might be surprised by how
>quick-n-dirty the amplitude calculation is.  If memory serves (and who knows
>how likely *that* is), feff computes the complex chi(k) using plane waves,
>which is a very quick calculation.  It then adds up the magnitude of the
>complex chi(k) at 4 points.  That's it.

Interesting. I knew that it was quick-and-dirty, which is why I was
all the more surprised that it didn't just scale with Z somehow. But
if it's looking at 4 points out of the chi(k) it could easily sample
in such a way as to favor the lower-Z element, as Jeremy and Feng
suggested. Thanks, all!

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College