[Ifeffit] cyber-security

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 24 09:09:57 CST 2006

Hi Syed,

Hmm, that's a good question.  I think that for all the Windows
machines that I've installed Ifeffit on, the user account had the
privilege to install programs and generally write to
C:\Program Files.   Is the issue with your security people that the
user shouldn't write to this folder?

Ifeffit + definitely needs to write to install directory (say, to look
for the updates, but also I think horae needs to be able to write
there).  I can believe that this would look insecure to some
administrators: it will download zip files and unpack executables from
them.

It's possible to install to someplace other than C:\Program Files,
including  under a users home directory.    The desktop icons and
start menu links should work under that scenario (though you may want
to double check that they're pointing to the correct place).   Would
that satisfy your security needs?   If not, can you give some idea of
what is preferred (and say, how are other programs installed)?

--Matt