[Ifeffit] Other programs than FEFF - FDMNES

Denis Testemale denis.testemale at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 20:19:14 CDT 2006

> My memory is that Yves Joly's FDMNES codes is available for the
> asking, but the last time I looked at it (many years ago by now) I was
> unable to get it compiled on my linux machine.

I cannot say I managed to compile it  on my linux machine because I got a
bin already compiled (at ESRF), and my newbie status prevented me to try the
fortran compilation. However I also use the Windows version which works
straightly. FDMNES has changed since last time you had a look, Bruce (was it
when you spent time at the laboratoire de Cristallographie? I was doing my
phD there, at that time, we kicked the ball together once or twice! Sorry
guys for that). You can download it at
http://cristallo.grenoble.cnrs.fr/LDC/LE_LABORATOIRE/Equipes_de_recherche/EQUIPE_SPECTROSCOPIE/SIMUL/EtudFond_Prog.asp
There is now a small fitting module embedded in it.

I also heard very recently of a program which uses the multidimensional
interpolation method (you probably know better than me what this means) and
which is compatible by default with FEFF8 and FDMNES ( but you can
apparently use any of your XANES XANES calculation code): it allows you to
vary parameters within a specified range (at this point I don't know if it
is only structural parameters) and save time by selecting the calculations
you really need to do (the other spectra are interpolated). This program is
made by Smolentsev and Soldatov (Rostov Uni). See here:
http://www.esrf.fr/computing/scientific/FitIt/MAIN.htm

2 (euro) cents more...
denis

It is possible that Delphine Cabaret's pseudopotential approach may be
> [...]
> >
> >Well, that was my US$0.02 worth...
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 07:29:08 -0700
> From: "Matthew Marcus" <mamarcus at lbl.gov>
> To: "XAFS Analysis using Ifeffit" <ifeffit at millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov>
>
> >> Including only bare-bones ASCII in/out is, IMHO, the only way to obtain
> >> true portability,  and it has worked.  I vaguely recall that they use
> >> some
> >> sort of verifier on their code to screen out system dependencies.
> >
> > I don't understand this.
>
> A verifier is a program that inspects programs, looking for probable bugs
> such as un-initialized
> variables, non-standard syntax, and system dependencies.  In fortran and
> C,
> graphics is
> not natively provided, so much be called from a library.  Such libraries
> vary from system to system.
>

> >> If it uses a g(r) approach, then I imagine that it doesn't handle
> >> multiple
> >> scattering.  On the
> >> other hand, it could be argued that *in the EXAFS range* a system which
> >> needs a g(r) approach
> >> won't have detectable MS.  That still leaves XANES, though.
> >
> > Actually, GNXAS does handle MS.  It's not clear to me how well it
> handles
> > small crystallographic distortions, mixed shells, and so on, but it does
> > include MS.   I agree with you that requiring one of g(R) and MS seems
> > to suggest that the other isn't necessary.
>
> It may use MS for systems in which the atomic positions are defined, but
> g(r) alone
> does not define them.  To get both *at one time* would require some way of
> specifying
> baseline atoms positions plus some random distortions with specified
> distributions, plus
> models for how those distortions are correlated.  Essentially, calculating
> MS requires assuming
> things about 3-body correlations at least.

> from
> >>
> >> All that sounds like what FEFF has.
> >
> > Err, no.  Feff has multiple options for exchange potentials, and decent
> > models for loss terms.  Feff has polarization dependence beyond dipole,
> > which is needed for L edges, and can do elliptical polarization fot
> XMCD.
> > I think GNXAS has none of that.
>
> I meant that FEFF's options are a superset, not that they are identical.
>

> > For DW factors for MS paths, Feff can use the correlated Debye model.
> > GNXAS claims to do something different and more complicated, but I've
> > never understand this, or why that would be important for systems that
> > needed to be treated with a g(R).
>
> If GNXAS provides two different systems, one for disordered systems
> described by g(r)
> and one for systems described by atomic positions, then maybe the
> 'different&more complicated'
> part is only for the atom-position case.

Denis Testemale
School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Adelaide University
and
South Australian Museum
North Terrace
5000 Adelaide