[Ifeffit] Other programs than FEFF - GNXAS and MXAN

Sven L.M. Schroeder s.schroeder at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Jul 30 15:21:10 CDT 2006

Let me add my 2 *pence* worth, as the Manchester team was mentioned too.

I agree with Calvin that a true 'ab initio' EXAFS black-box for a sample
about which nothing else is known is probably a non-sensical proposition. As
with so many other (any other?) technique that probes molecular level
properties one needs additional information about the sample, or more
gerenally, 'prior knowledge'. Now, with XAFS we have a technique that is
really only let loose on samples (if not the experimentalist then the
beamtime committees will usually see to that...) that have already been
characterised to quite some level of detail. Even during in situ
measurements on dynamic systems (reactions, phase transitions, in vivo,
etc), where the nature of the sample is more open-ended, the possibilities
are quite restricted. But the range of possible elements in the sample is
practically always limited (at least within the concentration ranges that
can be probed by XAFS), there are also rules about reasonable ranges for
bond lengths out there, phase diagrams, etc. All of these constrain the
possible parameter space quite significantly - and that is what is currently
done through the human operator.

The conceptual challenge for the design of any 'XAFS black box' is to find a
way to integrate this prior knowledge into the analysis process. I, as a
physical chemist, sometimes call the challenge 'How to teach a computer
chemical intuition'. Bond length rules, or more generally, any knowledge
from inorganic chemistry textbooks - there is no principal reason why all
this could not be coded into a database for a decision-making system, which
would then have to be coupled to a generic EXAFS analysis interface that
allows people to constrain a search according to what they already know
about their samples. A Herculean job before it becomes elegant...

Also, let's not forget the XANES. In principle that is information that you
can almost always get 'for free' with any EXAFS measurement. There is really
a lot of information to be mined through proper XANES analysis - but we
still have a lot of work to do to get there ...

Good news I guess. Keeps us busy for some years to come!

So that makes roughly 8 cents now (1p = 2c, approximately, at the moment at
least).

--
Sven L.M. Schroeder (mailto:s.schroeder at manchester.ac.uk)

School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science (CEAS) & School of
Chemistry The University of Manchester PO Box 88 Sackville Street Manchester
M60 1QD United Kingdom

http://www.slmslab.info

Tel +44 (161) 306 4502
Lab +44 (161) 306 4486
Fax +44 (161) 306 4399

Offices:
School of CEAS:  Room C17 (Jackson's Mill) School of Chemistry: Room E3
(Faraday Undergraduate Block)

DISCLAIMER
The views expressed within this message are those of the sender, not those
of The University of Manchester or one of its Departments. While all emails
and attachments are scanned for viruses before sending, we cannot accept any
responsibility for viruses, so please scan all emails and attachments. This
email is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender and delete this email immediately.

END OF MESSAGE