[Ifeffit] Other programs than FEFF - GNXAS and MXAN

Federico Boscherini federico.boscherini at unibo.it
Sat Jul 29 17:24:19 CDT 2006

Hello everyone,

there seems to be an interesting exchange of ideas going on. Let me contribute a few ideas or bits of information:

1) I don't believe anybody holds the right to speak in the name of the "international community", whatever that means. The scientific process is rather complex and does not even necessarily adapt itself to rules of democratic representation (who votes?...). Obviously the peer review process is not ideal (see the referee with strange ideas about a particular version of feff) but it might be the best we have.

2) Merci, Francois, for reminding us about the recent history of XAS. At the recent XAFS 13 conference there was hardly any mention of AXAFS and multielectron excitations. Is there anyone willing to write a history of XAS to follow on the one by Ch. Brodeur? Might be an interesting endeavor.

3) I have been using both GNXAS and FEFF related software for many (say 15 - 20) years. Most of the differences have come up in replies in the past few days. One extra difference between GNXAS and FEFF I would like to point out is that FEFF treats (linear and circular) polarization dependence while as far as I know GNXAS does not (it didn't for sure until a few years ago).

4) The formalism underlying GNXAS is very elegant and reading the original papers is great. I suggest it is highly worth the effort.

5) Regarding ease of use: is XAS amenable to a "black box" approach? Despite the fact that this clashes with what many of us teach to physics students, it might be very useful e.g. in the field of bioXAS. But can this be done? Or is the underlying physics too complex?

Cheers,

Federico

Prof. Federico Boscherini
Department of Physics