Fwd: Re: FW: [Ifeffit] Undergraduates and EXAFS

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Sun Jul 2 21:05:58 CDT 2006

Thanks for the references, Anatoly!

And, what the heck, I might as well give my opinion on the general topic.

While the referee's argument is understandable, I think there are few
"physics" fields in which undergrads can make greater contributions
than in the characterization of materials using EXAFS. I think that
to be good at using EXAFS, a researcher must have very strong general
research skills. For example, they have to be able to read the
literature, communicate in both directions with those in other fields
(e.g., chemists), visualize, be able to distinguish real effects from
noise, be able to devise tests to establish the cause of observed
effects, etc.. The technique itself requires a substantial learning
curve; 80 hours seems about right to be able to =begin= to use it
productively. But not a lot of specific Ph.D., or even advanced
undergraduate, material is required. How could it be? Although a lot
of EXAFS experts were trained in physics, we're seeing more who come
out of a variety of disparate fields. And you, Bruce, and others have
offered EXAFS short courses for years.

So this makes it perfect for a talented undergraduate. Undergraduate
interns have the time to spare for that 80-hour learning curve; that
only takes the first two weeks of a summer internship. And there's no
reason that the best of them shouldn't have better general research
skills than a mediocre graduate student.

And that's what I've found. The average quality of work does depend
on the level of the student in the expected way: high school <
undergrad < masters < Ph.D.. But the variation within groups is
considerably greater than the variation between groups. In fact, the
best member of my research group I ever had, the one who did the most
sophisticated work, was a high school student!

That's my two cents, anyway. :)

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College