[Ifeffit] Right way of choosing E0 in Athena

Frenkel, Anatoly frenkel at bnl.gov
Sun Jul 2 17:20:07 CDT 2006

Vadim,

The ss2 of multiple-scattering (ms) paths and single-scattering (ss) paths are not simply related
unless the legs in the ms paths are collinear.

In that case, as published in Frenkel, Stern, Qian, Newville, Phys. Rev. B, 48, 12449 (1993),
if the intervening atom is a first nearest neighbor of the absorber, this atom, to a good approximation,
does not affect the ss2 of the double scattering and triple-scattering path connecting the absorber,
the 1NN and the 1NN to the intervening atom in the forward scattering direction.

It also describes other relationships between the ss2 of the 1NN path and the
ms paths when the intervening atom is the absorber.

The complete set of these relationships can be found  in the Appendix of an article by
D. Pease, A. Frenkel et al., - I will send it to you as an attachement in a separate email.

Anatoly Frenkel
Yeshiva University