[Ifeffit] Mac Installer

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Tue Feb 21 04:08:01 CST 2006

   Hmm.  Sounds pretty easy.  Since it would be in an applescript, it
sounds like it would be easy to put up a dialog box asking if the
user wanted to download the latest update.  A framework might go like
this (within the athena/artemis/hephaestus scripts)

1. Did we update today, yes ->  startup horae
2. Curl over the latest copy of a fixed file like  http://
cars.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/updates/current_mac.dat
3. If update not available -> startup horae
4. Ask the user if they would like to update giving them the new version
5. Grab the new version of the installer via curl  (would it be
better to get it from sourceforge via an indirect from cars?)
6. Start up the installer, user interacts with installer
7. Tell the user to run horae again with the new version
8. stop

The idea would be to use the same AppleScript file as is now used for
starting up a horae element, fork off a shell script that would check
for updates and return a result code that indicated if one is
available (e.g. 0 no updates, 1 means update).  The current version
could be grep'd  from
one of the executables that live in the Ifeffit folder (is there an
official way to get the version number?).

Does this sort of plan sound reasonable.  The installer would be
started and would be waiting for the user to click OK.  I don't think
doing these automatically beyond this point is really advisable.