[Ifeffit] pgplot+Kubuntu+/XWINDOW /XSERVE

Denis Testemale denis.testemale at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 23:48:27 CST 2006

Hello.

I've been using Ifeffit+horae (VERY GOOD) stuff for a while on my
previous Mandrake linux distro. I've changed to Kubuntu now. I have
difficulties to install everything on this new laptop. [Please be
aware that I use Linux for quite some time now but still consider
myself as an "everyday beginner"]

I'm stuck at the installation of PGPLOT.
I've tried then to install from Mat's PGPLOT_install script but ran
into the same kind of error. Here it is:

-if I try to install without any driver but the /NULL one, this what it tells:

g77 -fno-backslash -o pgdemo1 /usr/local/src/pgplot/examples/pgdemo1.f
-L`pwd` -lpgplot -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: ne peut trouver -lX11
collect2: ld a retourné 1 code d'état d'exécution

- if I try with the /XWINDOW and /XSERVE:

gcc -c -Wall -fPIC -DPG_PPU -O -I. -I/usr/X11R6/include
/usr/local/src/pgplot/drivers/xwdriv.c
/usr/local/src/pgplot/drivers/xwdriv.c:127:21: erreur: X11/Xos.h :
Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
/usr/local/src/pgplot/drivers/xwdriv.c:128:22: erreur: X11/Xlib.h :
Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
/usr/local/src/pgplot/drivers/xwdriv.c:129:23: erreur: X11/Xutil.h :
Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
/usr/local/src/pgplot/drivers/xwdriv.c:130:24: erreur: X11/keysym.h :
Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
/usr/local/src/pgplot/drivers/xwdriv.c:131:23: erreur: X11/Xatom.h :
Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type

make: *** [xwdriv.o] Erreur 1

Let me add that my examples here are taken from an installation from
the PGPLOT source, but I would have the same kind of error messages
with Mat's script.

In my long struggle I remember I had PGPLOT installed and working
correctly (i.e. the demo would work) but without /XWINDOW neither
/XSERVE. If I remember well, at that time my desperate attempt had
been to delete "|X11" from a LIBS line in the make file. But of
course, following up to the installation of horae, I could not have
the plotting interface in athena/artemis.

I read somewhere that Bruce had some Kubuntus running some where.
Maybe somebody else? Did you face this kind of difficulties.

Thanks for any kind of advice and please feel free to ask any
additional information needed.

Cheers
denis

ps: I'm not a 64 bit linux.