[Ifeffit] Mac Installer

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sun Feb 19 21:49:48 CST 2006

Hi Paul,

Thanks!  I think the long name is fine. I'll change the download links
on the ifeffit page Monday morning (Chicago time).

For a Mac OS X auto-updater, I would recommend this as being somewhat
gentler than a cron job:   All Ifeffit/Horae applications run from
AppleScript icons first run the shell script
/Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.sh.  This (or .../iff_init.csh)  is
also but in startup files for Terminals (that is, .profile or .cshrc),
so that opening a Terminal and typing 'athena' will work.

Right now, /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.sh sets environmental
variables for PATH, PGPLOT_DEV, etc and not much else.    It would be
simple to write a  'look for updates'  script (say, modified from
horae_update or the Windows updater, pointing only to the
cars.uchicago.edu site) and just run that to iff_init.sh. That way,
the updates would be looked for every time someone runs an Ifeffit
application (as opposed to the fixed frequency of a cron job).

This is essentially how the Windows updater work.  There, the script
also notes when it last checked for updates so that it doesn't run 10
times a day.   The Windows updater does a fast check for "is there a
new version" with a fixed url of
http://cars.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/updates/current.dat

--Matt