[Ifeffit] Mac OS X installation

Bradley Roberts br2 at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:58:17 CST 2006

Bottom line - I was able to install - hopefully my comments below
help someone in the future.

>I'm not sure I understand the full sequence of events, but I'd
>definitely recommend re-installing from the binary installer.
>Building from source is possible, of course, but once you run into a
>problem it's a lot harder to guess what's wrong.

I'm trying to avoid building from source, and was trying to
re-install from binary.

>  >  I am able to load ifeffit and execute commands, however when I
>try to load any of
>>  the ancillary programs there are failures (see printout below).
>
>It looks like the core ifeffit is installed fine, but not the perl
>libraries needed by athena, artemis, etc.    Do you have any ideas why
>that might be the case?  What, if anything, is in /Library/Perl?

/Library/Perl had (and has) a full installation of 5.8.6
although since starting this, there is now a 5.8.1 folder with the
dir darwin-thread-multi-2level    which I think I'll just leave alone
for now.

>  > As per previous posts, I've installed and updated g77 via fink,
>as well as tk and tk::pod via
>>  cpan.  I also had to install LWP via cpan before I could get
>>ifeffit  to run.
>
>OK.... but none of this should be needed for athena to run.

It did appear that LWP was necessary to get ifeffit to run.  It also
didn't start to work until g77 was installed, somewhat confirmed with
this page:
http://cars9.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ifeffit/faqwiz?req=show&file=faq02.010.htp
tk, tk::pod did not appear to be necessary

>  > From the install notes I see that ifeffit's intall program
>trashes the LWP directory in perl,
>
>Hmmm, where do you see this? (and I'd hope it doesn't trash
>anything!!)  The installer does write a bunch of perl modules to
>/Library/Perl.

"trash" was probably the wrong word.  I can't find where I was
concerned about LWP specifically, but this note is the closest: If
you are using Perl on Mac OS X for other purposes, you may want to
consult with Matt and/or Bruce before installing this package.

>  > so I'm curious if I've caused this problem myself (and if so, how
>do I fix it?).  Secifically, the
>>  ifeffit.pm and Tk/Pod.pm files cannot be found anywhere in the
>>@INC directories.  Also,
>>running the locate command I cannot find the  files on the drive
>>anywhere else.
>
>They should be in /Library/Perl.

still not seen by the locate command, however as I note below, the
programs run.

>  > Additionally, I tried to download and re-install ifeffit from the
>  > disk image and it cannot install - the error says "you cannot
>>  continue. there is nothing to install."
>
>You probably need to delete the "installation receipt"  by removing
>the /Library/Receipt/Ifeffit-1.2.*****.pkg folder(s).  Then you should
>be able to do a full re-install.
>After that happens, check the contents of /Library/Perl.

I re-downloaded the 1.2.8 binary package from sourceforge and removed
the previous receipt.  Upon re-installation, athena/artemis/etc
appear as applications (with icons, etc) and are properly launched
either via double click or command line.  I can't say what,
specifically, caused it to install correctly this time, or what steps
I went through that were unnecessary, but hopefully these notes will
help someone else next time.

Thanks for your help - now I've got to learn how to use the program.

--
Bradley Roberts (br2 at u.washington.edu)
Graduate Student, Department of Materials Science & Engineering