[Ifeffit] Re: [Feffusers] thermal stage

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sun Dec 24 11:50:24 CST 2006

Hi Igor,

(and sorry for the double posting, but I thought some people on the
Ifeffit list might be interested and have something to say too).

I (well, GSECARS)  have a Linkam TS-1500 heating stage, which can go
to 1500C.   It works well.  We use it in our x-ray microprobe, where
we're usually very concerned with contaminating signals from metals,
so we run it open to air without any cover plates on it.  It can
easily get to 800C with this configuration (that is, no vacuum, a lot
less insulation than intended), but we tend to consume the heating
elements a little faster than we'd like.  In fact, we just ordered
some replacements.

Julie (well, PNCCAT) has the Linkam THMS-600 (I think that's the model
-- it goes down to LN2 temperature, and up to ~600C).  The APS
equipment pool also has one of these. It also works well, and really
does get down to -196C.   I does tend to consume LN2 and the
connecting line between the stage and dewar is a little short.  I
think Julie had Linkam modify the basic design to open the back hole
enough to allow transmission signal be measured while the stage was at
45degrees to the beam, and then also made some in-house modifications
of her own (to improve the low temperature insulation, mostly).   The
heating element on hers also broke this fall, but she was able to
repair it.

Anyway, these are definitely reasonable choices, and being commercial
products, probably cheaper, safer, and more reliable than anything you
can build at home.  I think Oxford Danfysik has (or used to have,
anyway) a similar microscope heating/cooling stage that could be
adapted for synchrotron work, but don't recall the details.

--Matt