[Ifeffit] Yttrium in alumina GBs

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Wed Dec 20 17:59:45 CST 2006

Hi Shan,

Nothing at all surprising here. In fact, you're getting pretty good
results, in my opinion. Your CN insists on being "about" 4.8. When
you push the ss, with which CN is correlated, to the top of its
fitted range, the CN increases to about 5.2. To me, that says your CN
is 4.8 +/ 0.4. A 10% uncertainty in CN is quite good for EXAFS! Of
course, your real uncertainty is greater than that, because there are
some possible systematic errors (e.g. normalization, sample effects)
that might be present. But still, you're doing about as well as can
be expected.

Of course, that's assuming that CN's are what you're after. If
finding out whether it's Alumina or Yttria is what you're after, the
quality of fit and CN are not distinguishing between the two
possibilities. That leaves bond distance as the best EXAFS indicator
of which phase is present.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College