[Ifeffit] Athena problem

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 20 11:39:50 CST 2006

Hi,

I agree that there have been several unrelated "issues" brought up
here.  Some of them are definitely reproducible, if not necessarily
easy to capture as an isolated bug report.

The "out of memory" problem that Paul Fons mentioned is definitely due
to ifeffit's limited, and fixed memory.  This can be changed changed
at compile time, but is (sadly) unavoidable in the current
implementation.   Someday there will be an Ifeffit 2 that eliminates
this problem.

The problem with 'clicking on the file/group area' in Athena on
Windows is a long-standing issue.  It's fairly common (for me, anyway)
to get an Athena session in this state, in which clicking on an
existing group does not highlight it or make it current, and moving
the mouse over it does not change the font. Sometimes a group can
still be chosen as a member of a set.   I don't know of an foolproof
way to get to this state, but it seems to be more common when reading
in several data sets, and after a project has been open and used for a
while.    This is definitely an irritation and it's been like this for
awhile.  The rest of athena still runs fine.   The easiest and most
reliable workaround (that I know of) is to click into a real widget in
the Main Panel (so that it actually responds) and then go back to the
group list and click on another group.

I haven't experienced very many random crashes of Athena.