[Ifeffit] High Correlation betn SO2 and ss

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Wed Dec 20 00:22:12 CST 2006

Hello Shan:

The high correlation between SO2 and the Debye-Waller parameter is not
surprising at all since they both act to change the intensity of the peaks
in Chi(R).  With an estimated standard deviation of +-0.3, a change of 0.5
in the coordination number is quite reasonable too since ESDs are not
really "error bars" but tend to be lower.  Unless you have other
information which can help to pin down one of the two parameters, I am
afraid that you are stuck with this ambiguity.

You have not said what the ss value does when you do not restrain it.
That might help you to figure out an interpretation.  If it goes way out
to a non-physical value then you _have_ to restrain it and make sure that
you report the fact.  In any case the CN is always one of the most
difficult values to pin down.

Without actually seeing the data, it is difficult to give you more than
generalities.

Cheers,

Carlo

--