[Ifeffit] CN and bond distances in Artemis

Anatoly Frenkel frenkel at bnl.gov
Tue Dec 12 11:49:01 CST 2006

Dear JA,

"For the record", I don't recall saying anything to the effect that S02 =
0.2 "is close to the case of Pt nanoparticles" - which would be wrong since
the smallest number for 13 atom particles is that of the cuboctahedron:
5.54. Thus, the ratio of 5.54 and 12 makes it 0.46. That means, if S02 in
the foil is 0.85, and in the nanoparticle it is 0.2 (I assume your
degeneracy is 12 as in the foil), it corresponds to the coord. number of
(0.2/0.85)*12 = 2.8 which is too small to correspond to a sample with the
majority of well defined nanoparticles in it.

I can only assume (because it is not clear) that your "0.2" was obtained by
assuming 12 neighbors as in the foil, instead of doing what Matt suggested
to do (amp = S02*N, where N is variable).

Anatoly