[Ifeffit] CN and bond distances in Artemis

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Tue Dec 5 10:29:30 CST 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Juan Antonio Maciá Agulló wrote:

> Ok, how can I apply an "infinite" sample correction? The other samples are
> measured also in fluorescence mode, then is it better to measure Ptfoil in the
> same conditions (fluorescence)?

The question about applying the correction has been answered.  As to your
question about the standard being measured the same way as the samples.
yes, it is important to have standards be the same but not if you are
compromising the data quality.  If the sample is mad efor transmission it
is not necessarily the right sample to measure in fluorescence.  Perhaps a
thin film of Pt would be a better fluorescence sample.  Something with
signficantly less than an absorption length of thickness.  In my
experience, mixing modes (transmission and fluorescence) is OK if you are
careful about drawing conclusions.  For example, a Pt foil is a geed
standard because it permits you to see if you can get a consistent
amplitude reduction factor which you can then use for your nanoparticles.
For this purpose transmission is fine.

If you want a Pt standard that is like your samples, then Pt black would
be better but you know that it will have a reduced SO2 as well because it
is in nanoparticle form.

Cheers,

Carlo

--