[Ifeffit] Attempted XANES calc using FEFF8.1 - what's wrong?

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Mon Aug 14 01:49:57 CDT 2006

With all the playing around one has to do to get a known structure to agree,
how can one fit
unknown structures?  What started this whole thread was the talk I heard by
Wu Ziyu who claimed
to fit metalloprotein structures based on subtle features of the XANES,
while I can't even get the broad features to agree!
It makes me wonder how robust those results really are.
How, for instance, would I know that the Fermi energy needs to be shifted or
that the exchange model might be wrong?
Presumably, other systems will require other remedies.  What would be nice
is if some expert in XANES calculation could
write a review showing the effects of, reasons for, and indications for use
of, these adjustments.
    mam