[Ifeffit] Re: Ifeffit Digest, Vol 40, Issue 10

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Mon Aug 7 10:45:23 CDT 2006

At 02:13 PM 6/21/2006, Bruce wrote:
>Actually, the opposite was my point.  I thought that the whole end of
>line problem was long ago solved in A&A.  It is my intention that A&A
>will work transparently with any of the three end-of-line conventions.
>That way, you don't need to worry about Wrangling your Text.
>
>If that's not your experience, let me know and I'll work on it.

I thought the CRLF problem was solved, but at least in one case it's
not. I used FEFF 8.28 to generate a set of paths on a Mac (OS
10.4.7). (The FEFF 8.28 I have might have been slightly modified to
increase the number of paths allowed or something like that; I don't
recall. But there were no changes to file handling.) Under Artemis
0.8.007 on either the Mac or the PC, choosing theory -> New Feff
input template -> Import Feff.inp doesn't quite work. The Mac version
doesn't give an error message, but only the headers seem to get read
in--the interpretation lists no paths. On the PC (under Windows XP),
errors are generated; they begin:

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
?PerlApp/Chemistry/Elements.pm line 527.
main::_ANON_('Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/PerlApp/Ch...') called at /PerlApp/Chemistry/Elemenmts.pm line 527
Chemistry:Elements::_is_Z(undef) called at
/PerlApp/Chemistry/Elements.pm line 355

Again, only headers are read in.

Changing the LF generated by the Mac to a CRLF in all the text files
in the folder solves the problem.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College