[Ifeffit] New Method for Normalization?

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 29 17:00:12 CDT 2005

Hi Dave,

Thanks for bringing this up.  I've talked with Tsu-Chien about
the MBACK procedure discussed in the JSR article, and about
whether he thought it would be worth adding to Ifeffit.  I
interpreted our conversation to be that it wasn't a very high
priority for either of us two to do the implementation soon.
(I don't recall if Tsu-Chien is on this list, but I'd be happy
to be corrected).

I do not mean to say that I think it should not be done.  I do
think the Cromer-Libermann background (bkg_cl) command in
ifeffit is sort of close, but it does ignore any drifts in
instrumentation response.  And Ifeffit always does a linear
pre-edge.  I've come to understand (especially from people with
very dilute samples and solid state detectors) that this can be
a noticeable problem.

I think including the MBACK approach is a good idea, and would
not want to discourage anyone from making that happen.  But
having an option for a Victoreen pre-edge, say, is probably even
more important.  I think that coupling a better pre-edge
function with the Cromer-Libermann background might get 3/4 of
the way to the MBACK approach.

I'd love to hear other opinions on this....

--Matt