[Ifeffit] writing beam time proposals

Dean Hesterberg sscdlh at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Sep 23 15:55:22 CDT 2005

I agree with others that it would be better for the student to write
the proposal and submit it as the PI, particularly if the professor is
not an active synchrotron user.

In reviewing GU proposals, it is fairly easy to spot a new user, either
by too little focus on the specific type of information that the
synchrotron technique will provide (for example, not recognizing for a
very complex sample that a spectrum is some average of multiple bonding
environments), or by too much focus on experimental details such as
data-collection and analysis steps that are considered routine for more
experienced users.  Definitely try to strike a balance between the
broader impacts of the science and usefulness of the analyses, versus
the specifics of how the data will be collected and analyzed.  Also, I
think it would help to state that you've taken an XAFS course.

It would be best to team up with an experienced user, ideally working
in the same field, or at least have an experienced user read the
proposal if possible.  Seeing previously-published work by someone
involved in the project (even if that person agrees only to give advice
during the course of the study) helps convince the proposal reviewer
that the PI will get useful data without a lot of trial-and-error.

Dean

DEAN HESTERBERG
Professor
Dept. of Soil Science
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Box 7619
3235 Williams Hall
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7619