[Ifeffit] writing beam time proposals

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Fri Sep 23 10:06:25 CDT 2005

Hi folks,

Yesterday I received an interesting question about writing beam time
proposals.  I know that proposal review panel members at least from
APS and NSLS are readers of this mailing list (perhaps other
synchrotrons as well), so I thought it would be interesting to start a
thread on proposal writing strategies.

The fellow who sent me mail asked:
  My question is, since I am a student, should my advisor be the
  official PI applying for time or should I be the PI?  Is there any
  advantage one way or the other?

In principle, I think it should not matter.  Beam time should be
awarded to a quality proposal.  What advice do you all have for this
proposal writer?  What has your experience in applying for beam time?

BTW, this fellow had been a student in a recent XAS summer school.  I
suggested he mention that in his proposal.

Regards,

 Molecular Environmental Science Group, Building 203, Room E-165
 MRCAT, Sector 10, Advance Photon Source, Building 433, Room B007

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel