[Ifeffit] compiling Ifeffit and friends on a 64 bit linux machine

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Wed Sep 14 23:05:39 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 22:15, Matt Newville wrote:
> I did have to change the PGPLOT makefile from /usr/X11R6/lib to
> /usr/X11R6/lib64, but I thought this was 1 line.

It looks like only one of them was necessary -- the "LIBS" variable.

> And once PGPLOT installed, the simplest rendition of './configure ;
> make install' did work to build Ifeffit.
>
> I did not try to get horae to work -- perl/Tk is not installed on this
> machine so horae wouldn't install anyway.    I recall the python build
> *did* fail with warnings about -fPIC, but I interpreted that to mean
> that the python setup was somehow mixed 32/64, and I haven't pursued
> this further.

I was also able to get ifeffit itself to work without any of the
command line flags for configure.  All the -fPIC business was
necessary to get the ifeffit wrapper to compile against libifeffit.a
and thus to get Athena and Artemis to work.

> To be honest, I don't know where the best place to
> check for '64-bit' would be.

I don't know either.  I see a few environment variables that clearly
indicate 64-bit-ness, but I don't know how consistent that is accross
unixes or even across linux distributions.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- bravel at anl.gov  -or-
                                                  ravel at phys.washington.edu

 Environmental Research Division, Building 203, Room E-165

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel