[Ifeffit] compiling Ifeffit and friends on a 64 bit linux machine

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 14 22:15:38 CDT 2005

Hi Bruce,

Hmm, I had a slightly easier experience getting ifeffit running on a
"64bit linux machine" (this is a dual Xeon 64EM and Fedora Core 3 for
x86-64).

I did have to change the PGPLOT makefile from /usr/X11R6/lib to
/usr/X11R6/lib64, but I thought this was 1 line.   And once PGPLOT
installed, the simplest rendition of
'./configure ; make install' did work to build Ifeffit.

I did find a bug in the command-line shell that mangled characters.
That fix will be included
in Ifeffit 1.2.8 (due very soon, and also fixing the termcap problem, I think).

I did not try to get horae to work -- perl/Tk is not installed on this
machine so horae wouldn't install anyway.    I recall the python build
*did* fail with warnings about -fPIC, but I interpreted that to mean
that the python setup was somehow mixed 32/64, and I haven't pursued
this further.   To be honest, I don't know where the best place to
check for '64-bit' would be.