[Ifeffit] Re: ifeffit installation on Linux

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 7 12:07:40 CDT 2005

Hi Marco,

> so I follow Peter suggestion:
> "ln -s /usr/lib/" in the /src/cmdline/ directory of the uncompressed ifeffit
> directory
>
> and then...problem solved...

>From my point of view that does not solve the problem.  ;).

> I installed the termcap library, then ran the "configure" script that Matt
> give but I have the same old result...
> checking termcap.h usability... no
> checking termcap.h presence... no
> checking for termcap.h... no

Hmm, perhaps the cached configure status is interfering??? Would
you be willing to do the following:

~> cd ifeffit-1.2.7
~> make distclean
~> ./configure ......  (include whatever else you might have used)
~> grep TERMCAP_LIB  src/cmdline/Makefile

and then send what the TERMCAP_LIB line is.  It should read
TERMCAP_LIB = -ltermcap
or
TERMCAP_LIB = -lcurses
or
TERMCAP_LIB = -lncurses
but NOT
TERMCAP_LIB = ./lib/termcap/libtermcap.a

These ('-ltermcap' etc) do assume that the termcap, curses, or
ncurses library is installed in a 'normal' place like
'/usr/lib'.  But if the symbolic link worked, so should this.

If src/cmdline/Makefile still says
TERMCAP_LIB=./lib/termcap/libtermcap.a

I'm not completely sure what is going wrong.  Could you send the
output of '/bin/env':
 ~> /bin/env > ENV_OUTPUT

Thanks,