[Ifeffit] ifeffit installation on Linux

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 7 10:39:34 CDT 2005

Marco, Peter,

Marco wrote:
> > I'm currently making my way into Linux, so I decided to change most of
> > my programs to this plattform, which obviously include ifeffit ;)
> > I downloaded the ".tar" file, ran with success the PGPlot script for the
> > graphics library installation (at least the demos run!!),

Great!  Getting PGPLOT to work is progress!

> > and executed the "configure" script, getting the message
> > "ready for the next step"...however I also get the following
> > info:
> > checking termcap.h usability... no
> > checking termcap.h presence... no
> > checking for termcap.h... no
<snip>

Peter suggested:

> the ifeffit installation script didn't find the termcap library on my
> machine (SuSE 9.2), although I had it installed using YaST.
> The solution was to make a symbolic link to /usr/lib/ ("ln -s /usr/lib
> lib") in the [installation-source]/src/cmdline directory (where
> "[installation-source]" of course is the place where you have unpacked
> the tar file).

That may be ok for getting ifeffit to run on Marco's machine,
but we should probably solve the problem more correctly.

Marco, would you be willing to try replacing the configure
script with the one at
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/src/linux/configure

This has a 5 line change lifted from recent version of Readline,
which I would assume works better, and looks like is designed to
avoid the error messages you got.

Just replace the current ifeffit-1.2.7/configure with this one
and redo the './configure ....' step.  Sorry for the trouble,
and thanks in advance for trying this out.