[Ifeffit] delR versus thermal expansion A and first cumulant C1*

Anatoly Frenkel frenkel at bnl.gov
Wed Oct 5 20:57:42 CDT 2005

Matt is right - and the triangular inequality is a good way to think about
it. Fornasini and Dalba, as well as Ed Stern in J. Phys. paper, estimated
this term more accurately:  2*sigma2/R should be added to the Delta R to
account for the transverse vibration and obtain the difference between the
bond distance in the unknown sample and the standard (experimental or
theoretical). However, if sigma2 is of the order of 0.01 A2, and 1NN
distance is of the order of 2.8 A as in gold, platinum or palladium, this
correction is only 0.007 A, which is smaller than thermal expansion in many
materials (that can be on the order of 0.02-0.06 A, depending on the
temperature range, bond strength (or Debye/Einstein temperature). Of course,
since sigma2 varies with temperature linearly in classical limit (at
temperatures great than Einstein temperature), this correction is
temperature dependent. That means, at 300 K it may be 0.007 A2 (and the
correction is 0.005 A), and at 400 K it may be 0.01 A2 (and the correction
is 0.007 A). However, if the thermal expansion (R2-R1) is measured with and
without this correction, the difference is only 0.002 A, which is for sure
comparable or most likely less than the error bar in R.

Thus, transverse vibrations, ideally, should be included for more accurate
bond length determination. If they are small, the one-dimensional model of
Frenkel-Rehr is a reasonable approximation.

Anatoly

Anatoly Frenkel
Yeshiva University