[Ifeffit] New Method for Normalization?

Barton, David (DG) DGBarton at dow.com
Tue Oct 4 14:31:39 CDT 2005

Bruce,

You mentioned:
> Isn't Ifeffit's Cromer-Liberman normalization scheme
> substantially similar to the method presented in that paper?

When I use the Cromer-Liberman background subtraction routine in Athena the Normalized data is not flattened.  Normalized, but not *flattened* data results in a skewed XANES region which is affected by the amount of curvature in the background.  If I choose "Flatten" in Athena, it is my understanding that it applies a linear pre-edge and 2nd order polynomial post-edge regardless of which background was chosen (Autobk or CLNorm).  The Clnorm background does appear to "flatten" the chi(k) data which can be useful for EXAFS analysis, but it doesn't flatten the mu(E) data.  When one attempts to analyze XANES data it is preferred to have the entire post-edge "flattened" in mu(E) space so that the background curvature is eliminated from the dataset.

Ultimately, as Matt stated, it would be nice to be able to combine a Victoreen and CLNorm background to get a reasonably "flattened" mu(E) function.  I would also suggest adding the ability to independently set the pre-edge and post-edge functions (n'th order polynomial, Victoreen, CLNorm, or MBACK??) for Normalization and Flattening.  These choices would be separate from the choice of background removal method to get chi(k) (Autobk or CLNorm).

Dave