[Ifeffit] R-factor and reduced chi square

Kelly, Shelly D. SKelly at anl.gov
Tue Oct 4 14:02:59 CDT 2005

Hi Owen,

A test for a significant change in the reduced chi square (RCS).

[(RCS1)^2/(RCS2)^2] - 1 greater than 2 * sqrt ( 2 / degrees of freedom)

If you can not read that, I have this published in J. Phys Chem B, V105
no27 year (2001).  You can down load that paper from my web page
www.mesg.anl.gov.  I guess it is a reasonable test:).

For most model fits a change by a factor of 2 is needed to be
statistically significant.

Good luck
Shelly

Shelly Kelly                   Bldg 203 RM E113
Skelly at anl.gov              Argonne National Laboratory
630-252-7376                 9700 S Cass Ave
www.mesg.anl.gov         Argonne, IL 60440

B.